Monday, January 5, 2009

The Business Plan

Today I wrote a business plan.

I started my business and opened a teddy bear shop in 1988. I didn’t know how to run a business and I didn’t even really know how to make quality bears. I was, however, so excited about teddy bears I could hardly stand it. So I just started making teddy bears, opened a shop, put the bears on the shelves, and they sold, one at a time; and not always as quickly as I would have liked.



One of my shop bears and me sitting in the sun sewing a bear.

I won’t tell you I wasn’t scared to death. I was. Some days I would just cry behind the teddy bear display in my shop.

I learned that you can cry without smearing your makeup. If you stand up and lean forward, the tears simply drop to the floor.


More shop teddies

I did end that little venture a year later. I got a “real” job and worked enough years to finally retire, while at the same time trying to run my teddy bear business out of my home with no viable plan other than to make and sell teddy bears.

I was able to retire from the “real” job a couple of years ago; with every good intention of finally making a go of this teddy bear business.

I have managed to make and sell some teddy bears over the past couple of years since I retired, but most days I don’t know if I’m coming or going. I waste time. I find myself doing everything BUT making teddy bears. Then I get mad at myself for not doing what I love (making teddies) and when I finally do allow myself time in the teddy bear room, I don’t know where to begin, I get overwhelmed and then go clean something…

Today I made a decision: Make A Plan. Write A Plan. Read a book on how Dummies can operate a business. And so I did. I read the book, I wrote the plan, I made a list of to do’s and now I’m so excited I can hardly stand it (again!).

There’s something about belonging to this teddy bear world that just won’t let you go. I have finally surrendered and it is time for me to give it all I’ve got. I don’t want to say to myself someday, “oh well, I did the best I could” unless I really did the best I could.

I’m excited and I’m off to make my teddy bear dreams come true.
Uncle Art and "Art"; shop favorites

Thanks for joining me and stay tuned for more!



2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your business plan Vicki.....I really hope you manage to make your dreams come true :o)

    Hugs
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the hours that whither away I know them so well. Good luck with the plan................I think I need a book like that.
    Beary Hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete